Who is an unspoiled child/unspoiled adult?
- A child who takes responsibility for his choices (accountability)
- A child who does not have a sense of entitlement.
- A child who cares about others beyond himself.
- A child who is resourceful and can entertain himself.
- A child who always treats adults respectfully.
Goal of parenting: help a child THRIVE by his:
- Growing a solid sense of self.
- Becoming an emotionally and mentally healthy adult.
- Being able to have and maintain nurturing relationships.
- Having a life with purpose.
- Feeling cherished and supported by you.
How to raise an unspoiled child:
- Have a parent-centered family, not a child-centered family.
- Allow for failure and disappointment.
- Allow for and encourage mastery (theirs, not ours).
- Model charity and kindness-more than talk-take actions.
- Give all members of a family (12 months and up) family jobs.
- Set boundaries-follow through with consequences and consistency.
- Require respectfulness in discourse with adults.
- Let them develop an attitude of gratitude.
- Limit giving-so they can live the joy of anticipation-and not feel entitled.
- Promote family participation, be it values-based, faith-based, family mission statement.
- Supply needs daily; supply wants discriminately.
Working towards these goals will hopefully keep your child unspoiled and thriving.
- Make their beds
- Fold towels and washcloths
- Put away clothes in drawers
- Pick up their toys
- Wipe of front of large appliances using spray bottle of water and sponge.
- Feed pets
- Match clean socks
- Scrub vegetables
Kindergartners can do all of the above, plus:
- Vacuum small areas with a lightweight vacuum.
- Sweep porches
- Straighten plastic dishes in a lower cabinet.
- Dust furniture
- Wipe windows (That you have washed) with a clean blackboard eraser to keep them shining!
Younger elementary kids can do the above plus:
- Take out garbage
- Sweep stairs and walks
- Clean out the car.
- Vacuum their own room
- Sort and straighten toys
- Empty the dishwasher
- Sort clothes for washing
- Clean off outdoor furniture
- Water a garden
- Set and clear the table